Darkwater Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darkwater Forum

A place for staff and players to come together for discussions regarding Darkwater MUX.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Faetouched + Mantle

Go down 
+4
Gobli
Sabine
Thomas
Cobalt
8 posters

Should Faetouched with "Fae Seeming" be able to buy mantle?
Yes - Unlimited.
Faetouched + Mantle Vote_lcap0%Faetouched + Mantle Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes - Limited (no more than 3).
Faetouched + Mantle Vote_lcap23%Faetouched + Mantle Vote_rcap
 23% [ 5 ]
No - Not at all.
Faetouched + Mantle Vote_lcap77%Faetouched + Mantle Vote_rcap
 77% [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
Cobalt

Faetouched + Mantle Empty
PostSubject: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:45 am

Pink and I have been considering whether or not faetouched with the "fae seeming" merit should also be able to pick up court mantle. Why? Because faetouched are the half-cooked evolution before being made fully lost. Those that come out of arcadia with a seeming are closer to being a full on changeling than others. Their permutations after leaving arcadia should be extreme.

These faetouched still can't do (because they are not Lost-lite, this list is probably not complete).
* A -max- of 5 glamour.
* Cannot form pledges on their own.
* Cannot buy wyrd.
* Cannot have a kith.
* Cannot buy or use contracts.
* Cannot strengthen their mask.
* Cannot shred their mask.
* Do not have clarity, so do not have the benefits or drawbacks.
* Cannot use Kenning.
* Cannot harvest glamour save through hedgefruit or being given it through a pledge.
* Cannot use glamour to activate a token (in contention).

Last edited by Cobalt on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:49 am

I have to say no. Faetouched are not Lost. Honestly, I think Fae Seeming blurs the line too much as it is, and adding the ability to be a Courtier just makes it worse, particularly since Faetouched can't even make binding pledges to the Wyrd on their own.
Back to top Go down
Sabine

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:53 am

I voted no. For a grudging yes vote, it would be with the caveat that they can go no higher than 1 in Mantle. Allowing a Fae-Touched, who is /not/ a Lost, to have the option of buying up Mantle higher than some full Lost in the courts just seems...wrong to me. It falls into the realm of speshul.
Back to top Go down
Gobli

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:58 am

I voted yes, because Fae-touched don't have much as it is.
Back to top Go down
Truth and Lies

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:04 am

If a Faetouched can't make pledges on their own, how can they get mantle and join a court, which is technically a binding pledge to one of the four seasons? That said, Changelings have one of the worst mortal+ minor templates.. Even worse than ghouls.
Back to top Go down
Claire

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 am

I voted no. My main reason is that as stated, they cannot buy Wyrd or make pledges (because they do not have Wyrd). It could be argued in many ways that their connection to the Wyrd then, is not like the Lost's connection. For one to get a mantle the Lost has to declare themselves of a Court before the Wyrd, which then turns about and gives them their mantle. If a FT can't have Wyrd, can't make pledges, then how exactly are they to get their mantle when the Wyrd doesn't exactly acknowledge them the same as a Lost? That's the biggest question for me.
Back to top Go down
Cobalt

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 am

It is a good point that faetouched can't make pledges they can't pledge to the season. However, faetouched can still be bound into pledges. So one could argue that because you're not actually forming a pledge when you swear to a season, it's more that the season is accepting them than an actual pledge.
Back to top Go down
scaryclown

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:09 am

Thomas wrote:
...Faetouched can't even make binding pledges to the Wyrd on their own.
(editing mine)

That would be the next change made.

I'm not a fan of this idea. Thematically, Faetouched aren't to the Lost like Wolfblooded are to Werewolves, or Ghouls are to Vampires. Obviously, those who play Faetouched have a reason for picking that type of character over a low Mantle, high Clarity changeling with a hardened Mask. Maybe we should hear from them.
Back to top Go down
Cobalt

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:12 am

It is highly unlikely that faetouched would ever be HR'd to be able to make pledges, actually.
Back to top Go down
scaryclown

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:27 am

So, is giving Faetouched levels in Mantle just for flavor/style/roleplay? It almost seems like a waste of time, mechanics-wise, if they can't even use seasonal contracts.
Back to top Go down
Cobalt

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:30 am

They would get the benefits at the break points they can reach. Such as Summer mantle 1 - spend WP and get +4 instead of +3 on strength (or is it brawl?) rolls. So long as those break points don't require a glamour spend. It'd be one part flavor/style and one part partial mechanics.

To give some background: When staff decided what merits from the splatbooks a faetouched could take we looked to see if they required a wyrd rating or a glamour spend to work at all. Mantle requires neither.
Back to top Go down
Mika

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 11:32 pm

While I only play a 'normal' mortal at the moment, I have to strongly agree that the fae-touched should continue to remain on the outskirts of changeling society.

Sure, allow the touched to sign up for a course, but it shouldn't allow access to the high ranking jobs. Perhaps let them be the paperwork pushers, or something like that!

Well, that's my 0.02 cents worth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Faetouched + Mantle   Faetouched + Mantle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Faetouched + Mantle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Darkwater Forum :: Changeling :: General-
Jump to: