Darkwater Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darkwater Forum

A place for staff and players to come together for discussions regarding Darkwater MUX.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oath Discussion: Duration

Go down 
+6
Thomas
Rangi
Thenomain
Truth and Lies
Textbook
NotOtter
10 posters

Should our freehold oath be seasonal, or Year-and-a-day?
Seasonal - the MUSH environment is not condusive to extended commitment and characters should have the freedom to choose.
Oath Discussion: Duration Vote_lcap55%Oath Discussion: Duration Vote_rcap
 55% [ 11 ]
Year and a Day - This is the traditional form a freehold oath should take, it is not meant to be someting you can ''opt out'' on.
Oath Discussion: Duration Vote_lcap45%Oath Discussion: Duration Vote_rcap
 45% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
NotOtter

NotOtter

Oath Discussion: Duration Empty
PostSubject: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 4:29 am

Discuss the merits of Seasonal vs. Year-And-A-Day here.
Back to top Go down
Textbook

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:04 am

My $.02 is that the Oath seems to be rather regularly 'under construction.' Seasonal means that the pledge can be doctored and changed as necessary, which makes for a tighter pledge, in the long run.

However, possibly, there could be the option to Oath to the Freehold for a year and a day?
Back to top Go down
Truth and Lies

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:08 am

Textbook wrote:
My $.02 is that the Oath seems to be rather regularly 'under construction.' Seasonal means that the pledge can be doctored and changed as necessary, which makes for a tighter pledge, in the long run.

However, possibly, there could be the option to Oath to the Freehold for a year and a day?

What about Year and Day oath to the Freehold but a seasonal oath to the Monarch? That allows people to express their disagreement with specific monarchs while still maintaining loyalty to the Freehold as a whole. I do SCA, and it is possible to be in an SCA Kingdom, paying membership dues and recieving the benefits therein, without ever swearing fealty to the Crown. But if you do, there's benefits.

Only problem is that it becomes a lot of oaths that might clash. I prefer Seasonal, as it gives people a chance to 'test drive' oaths. Especially since we are NOT going to come up with the perfect oath instantly. Each season will bring some new problem as a different circumstance comes up that shows a flaw in the workings.
Back to top Go down
Thenomain

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 am

As a note from a casual observer, I take part of the theme of Freehold security being its stability and, therefore, the stability of the pledge.

However, Port Angeles is a new Freehold and halting starts and stops is part of it. Don't be surprised if staff takes advantage of this.
Back to top Go down
Rangi

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm

I kind of like 'a year and a day' because it seems more thematic, faerie-wise, frankly. I'm certainly not bothered by it being seasonal though. If it's going to be a year-and-a-day, it probably needs to be quite simple and firm. There are a range of other oaths possible (royal guards, etc) for more nuance, perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Thomas

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 am

I think Seasonal is a fine compromise to the nature of a MU*, and our own fallibility. As we've already seen, our pledge-making skills are perhaps not the best they absolutely could be, which means that we need a method to be able to correct our own mistakes. Suffering a bad oath for 3 months is a lot better than swearing, and then realizing that you're all bound by a bad oath for 12 months. Consider how much the Freehold has changed just in the last year, after all.
Back to top Go down
Polly

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:31 am

The freehold duration is a compromise.

My IC desire to be part of a secure functional freehold is at odds with my OOC fear of being shackled to a dumbass who worms his way into a leadership position.

Back to top Go down
Elisa

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:35 am

I like the idea of a year and a day. No jumping in and out and so on and so forth. But for Mush, seasonal just seems to make more sense.

Since I am pretty new and I don't know all the ins and outs and the history of the game, I don't know what is really better. OOCly, I don't know what issues would come up I would have a problem with.

ICly, Elisa would totally oath for a year and a day. She loves the idea of a Freehold. She hasn't rocked the boat yet so she sees no issue with it
Back to top Go down
Truth and Lies

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 am

Polly wrote:

My IC desire to be part of a secure functional freehold is at odds with my OOC fear of being shackled to a dumbass who worms his way into a leadership position.

+1 to Polly. She can have a cracker lol! I really really really wanna push for a seasonal oath. Once we get everything working.. Not perfect, just plain working... we can talk about upping the duration. For now, people are shy. When you're leash training a dog, you don't put the leash on it first thing and take it out for a long walk, you put the leash on it for short stretches of time so it can grow accustomed to the leash.

Let's get everyone use to wearing the leash before we start talking about taking the dog out for a long walk? Even if it's just one season of the new oath, and then we go year and a day, that still gives us that one season to tweak with things in a sorta open-beta stress test before we go live.

Mixing metaphors x.x What happens when you post half-awake.
Back to top Go down
Alister

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 6:30 am

Polly wrote:
The freehold duration is a compromise.

This is called politics. We even as people sometimes have to deal with stupid leaders that we can nto do anything about or pose promises that well do not ever happen. Sometimes you have to join foor the people and not for its leaders. If your a type of person who doesnt care about the whole and wants to be alone then do not join you have that choice.
Back to top Go down
Polly

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 7:14 am

Is this working? Is the Politics fun? Or are we just mucking about with some dumb shit because this is how mu*s work.

If the politics are working why has it taken several weeks to drag everyone into a vote and why are tons of people saying they don't want to be part of the freehold?

It's because the IC and OOC of it are messed up and need to get sorted out. I am not a Darkling subject of the freehold of darkwater. I'm a student in Arizona who likes to RP on a Mu*. I'm not bound by the wyrd by an oath of Fealty. I don't think I'm out of place saying, "Hey, could we run this more efficiently?"

I don't want a silly unthematic democracy based on the idea that in highschool I learned that democracy is the bestest. I just want OOC common sense and good ideas to come up in the game.

Back to top Go down
Alister

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm

Polly wrote:
Is this working? Is the Politics fun? Or are we just mucking about with some dumb shit because this is how mu*s work.

If the politics are working why has it taken several weeks to drag everyone into a vote and why are tons of people saying they don't want to be part of the freehold?

It's because the IC and OOC of it are messed up and need to get sorted out. I am not a Darkling subject of the freehold of darkwater. I'm a student in Arizona who likes to RP on a Mu*. I'm not bound by the wyrd by an oath of Fealty. I don't think I'm out of place saying, "Hey, could we run this more efficiently?"

I don't want a silly unthematic democracy based on the idea that in highschool I learned that democracy is the bestest. I just want OOC common sense and good ideas to come up in the game.

not everyone can be the one who thinks outside the box unfortunately. Your not out of place at all but sometimes you will be getting people involved who will not live up to your expectations and you will get those few who will. Its impossible to control and sometimes you have to go with the flow or those with the ideas have to be the ones who step up.
Back to top Go down
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:14 am

I'd prefer seasonal. It provides the most potential for IC politics since, while one can off and on pledge, it would be ICly unseemly to only pledge during your season or to regularly pop in and out. So the option should be there, but doing it too much should have some IC consequences that make it harder to justify season hopping.
Back to top Go down
scaryclown

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 am

I'm not concerned about seasonal versus 'year and a day' as I am concerned about all the bells and whistles people want to put in the oath. It seems that more time is spent trying to decide what merits and advantages will go into the oath than how long the oath should last. Make it simple and people might not care as much about the duration. And make the decision as soon as you can.

Thank you. clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oath Discussion: Duration   Oath Discussion: Duration Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oath Discussion: Duration
Page 1 of 1