Darkwater Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Darkwater Forum

A place for staff and players to come together for discussions regarding Darkwater MUX.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Offhand Attacks

Go down 
+6
Glitch
sanger
OrangePony
Cobalt
Alister
Purple
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Alister

Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 5:01 am

Thenomain wrote:
And with role-playing history, we have to remember that games need a consistent reality. Old WoD's was high-fantasy, New WoD's is low-fantasy. In either case you can't dismiss an argument because it has the word "reality" in it, and in nWoD's case talking about history ("our reality") is even more probative.

Even if we did want to make dual-wielding-longswords gibbing madness, we run into the problem that nWoD's core theme and rules are not well set up for it. It's possible, but theme and rules inform one another.

And worse, WoD's rules are not always logical. I could even say "not usually logical".

The simple +1 was an attempt to take advantage of this in order to keep things simple. I could have said: + 1/2 on-hand weapon + 1/2 off-hand weapon - 4 (or -2 with ambidexterity) with the strength requirements of each weapon increased by 1, weapon bonus calculated and totaled before halved.

That's valid, but it's not simple. A straight +1 might not be right, either, but now you know the kinds of rules I think WoD should have.

I get what you are saying here but we can not go with what WoD rules /should/ be less you want to revamp the whole system. We have to go with the system that was chosen and modify it accordingly. Apparently for this topic to come up it has been requested to be reviewed enough to warrant this discussion.

And if you want to bring reality into this fantasy gladiators in ancient Rome consistently dual wielded weapons and were trained to do so.
Back to top Go down
Thenomain

PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:05 am

Alister wrote:
And if you want to bring reality into this fantasy

I would want to ground the fantasy with the reality it's derived from, as close to the methods of the designers of the game we are playing. I'm sorry that this was unclear.

So yes, what the ancient Romans did is interesting to me, in the scope of this discussion, and suggests to me that I'm not way off in left field. My baseball diamond metaphor is set closer to 'Robin Hood' (any version) than '300'.

Quote :
we can not go with what WoD rules /should/ be less you want to revamp the whole system

I respectfully disagree, but the reasons fracture this discussion further into an argument about the proper approach to the issue, rather than the issue itself. That may become important, but at the moment I believe it's a distraction.

"A flat +1" won't work without changing other rules, but we're talking about inventing rules whole-cloth anyhow.

The other suggestion was about strength: Increasing the Strength requirements by 1 for dual-wielding would stack with the rule that says wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand increases the strength req by one, so dual-wielding zweihanders would take someone with a strength of 6, which doesn't sound entirely unreasonable.

However, this might not work on the whole: Saying Strength 3 for Rapier + Main Gauche may make a complex mechanic not work as well as it could.

My $2 and thinking-out-loud.

edit: Cool movie on people using a zweihander in various situations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFAKTjOQJwQ
Back to top Go down
Lawless

PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:21 am

Not sure if this was brought up yet, but there is already a perk for dual wielding guns. The Gunslinger perk from WoD page 112. Required a certain dex and firearms and lets you simply attack twice and has certain disadvantages for a few common scenarios when it comes to firing two guns. Not eon Ambidexterity included.

A HR perk for melee weapons could easily be added and, like the Gunslinger perk, be limited to one handed weapons.
Back to top Go down
Cobalt

PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:05 am

We removed gunslinger as we don't like the rather system-breaking affect (or is it effect?) of two attacks a round.
Back to top Go down
Sammi

PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:12 am

Cobalt wrote:
(or is it effect?)
Effect. Affect as a noun refers to emotional response or a feeling.
Back to top Go down
Alister

PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:57 am

I honestly do not see a way to make two weapon fighting viable without using the merits and those will never be implemented at this time. I am out of ideas.
Back to top Go down
Purple

PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 12:15 pm

With the overall feeling of "not worth it," "no way to do it," and "doesn't fit" in response to the thread, I'll drop the idea. Thanks everyone who weighed in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Offhand Attacks   Offhand Attacks - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Offhand Attacks
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Darkwater Forum :: General-
Jump to: